The Best Ways to Clean Your Drains
April 19, 2017
Think of all the stuff that has gone down your drain. It’s not a pretty list, is it? And it certainly doesn’t smell like a bouquet of roses. Funky smelling sinks are a regular and totally normal occurrence, but that doesn’t mean you need to live with the odors. Try these methods to keep your drains clean and smelling fresh moving forward.
- Hot water. Yes, something as simple as hot water can be what you need to flush away the particles clinging to the inside of your drain and causing that unpleasant smell. Boil two cups of water and slowly pour it down the drain to try and wash away whatever is lingering.
- Hot vinegar. Need something with more oomph? Microwave two cups of plain white distilled vinegar and pour that down instead.
- Vinegar, baking soda, and hot water. While the above methods will work for most drain odors, if you have a particularly funky smell going on, go for the trifecta: dump a cup of baking soda down the drain, then pour two cups of hot vinegar down. Wait for about 20 minutes until the chemical reaction is complete – which has hopefully neutralized the smell – then rinse with hot water.
- Ice cubes. If the smell is coming from a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal, your issue might be the blades of the disposal, which can easily become caked with food scraps. Try dropping an ice cube down and running the disposal; the rough edges of the ice cube should wipe the blades clean.
- Citrus peels. The only thing better than a clean drain is a good smelling one. If you have a disposal, follow any of the above tips by dropping down some small slices of lemon or orange peel and running the blades. The aromatic peels will release their essential oils and fill the room with a much sweeter smell.
- Essential oils. No disposal? No problem – once you have neutralized your drain, just drip a few drops of your favorite essential oil down the drain. We’re a fan of grapefruit!
Note that these methods will help clean and freshen a drain, but may not unclog one. If you need help with a serious clog, contact the plumbing experts at Madsen for a safe and efficient way to clear your lines and keep your pipes in working order.